Friday, February 6, 2009

Lapis Surabaya Asli (Indonesian/Surabaya Layer Cake)









Honestly, I never made this cake before. I guess because I used to take it for granted that there are so many relatives, aunts and neighbors who can make this kind of cake - so I was just used to eat without bothering getting the knowledge on how to make it.
This is one of Indonesia's signature cakes. Good for any occasion, especially to be made as wedding cake! You may find the same 'layer' style and (quite close) ingredients similarity everywhere, yet it's what we call "Lapis Surabaya" (Surabaya layer cake) as it's been so distinctively known being made by Surabayans. Click HERE to learn more about Surabaya, Indonesia.

Then the time of me wanting to eat this came and I wanted so desperately to be able to do this. After digging on my printed references, and searching online as well, I found the 'most suitable' composition of this cake according to my 'taste memory'. The reason being I mentioned "taste-memory" as when I looked up on those both printed and online references, there are different versions of this cake. But I do know, for sure, the original one, calls for more than 24 egg yols for the whole thing. So I came read all through those informations, decided myself that I wanted to try the best to my 'calculation' and my not-so-much-knowledge of cake baking. After that, I was so delighted and excited that the result turns out to be perfect! My first try! The other thing I can proudly said here is that I made the jam myself so I can guarantee that this cake is "preservatives free":)... Yay!

Just pay a good attention on the details and timing and do the mix one layer at a time (exception for those baking-experts!:)) and really DON'T mix during the process of adding butter and flour, I can assure you that the process of the making will be perfectly fine. So, here goes!

Ingredients (per layer):
11 egg yolks
1 white egg
1/3 Cup of butter
2/3 Cup of sugar
½ Cup of flour (low protein)
1 teaspoon of vanilla or rum essence
Apricot or Peach jam for filling
Cocoa powder (for the chocolate layer)
Direction:
Heat the oven to 350 degree (Fahrenheit)
Grease 3 9-inches diameter pan, if you’re using the regular pan
Beat the butter until white and soft. Set aside
Beat the egg yolks and the white egg, with sugar and vanilla or rum. For 30 seconds to 1 minute in low speed, to mix them well
Then increase the speed to medium (if using stand mixer, or high speed if using hand mixer) and beat for 6 to 7 minutes or until the mix is white and raised.
Immediately lower the speed and turn off the mixer.
Fold gently the butter, followed by flour.
Keep folding gently until all mixed well.
Pour into the pan and bake in the center of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Don’t open during the process.
Insert a toothpick to see if the center is well-cooked. Remove from oven and cool.

NOTE: for the brown layer (middle one), replace 1 tablespoon of the flour with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.
Assembly:
When the cake layers are all cool, spread the jam on one lowest part, top with the middle part (brown) and spread the jam again on it. Cover with the top part.
You either can decorate the cake with butter cream frosting or without. Bon appétit

No comments:

 

unique stats
GPS Navigation